The Planning Commission will be holding a public hearing to consider amendments to the R-1 Single Family Residential Zoning Ordinance regarding various definitions (attic, habitable attic space, bedroom, driveway, floor area, flag lot, and front lot line), permitted uses, setbacks, building floor area calculation, height, and parking, among other development standards. The Commission is also considering amendments to the Parking Ordinance regarding the number of spaces required, tandem parking, and pavement of parking areas. The Planning Commission meeting will be held on February 7, 2013, at 7:00 p.m., in the City Council Chambers at the Sierra Madre City Hall located at 232 West Sierra Madre Blvd. Some of the major proposed amendments include:
- Revisions to the calculation of allowable building floor area to include all structures covered by a solid roof, with some exceptions such as front porches, fully submerged basements, roof eaves up to 4 feet in projection, and some attic areas.
- New angle plane height limit along the side yard to minimize the impact of second story structures to neighboring homes.
- Three on-site parking spaces required for homes with 5 bedrooms or more.
- Inclusion of flood control easement areas in the computation of lot area, for purposes of calculating the maximum allowable building floor area.
- Bedroom to be defined as any room capable of being used as sleeping quarters in a customary manner.
- Restricting storage of recreational vehicles (RVs), trailers, and boats within the front 25 feet of a property.
- Requirement for minimum percentage of landscaping in the front yard area.
The Planning Commission meeting will be held on February 7, 2013, at 7:00 p.m., in the City Council Chambers at the Sierra Madre City Hall located at 232 West Sierra Madre Blvd. The meeting is open to the public and there will be opportunities to make comments. Information regarding the draft amendments is available on the Development Services page on the City's website at www.cityofsierramadre.com, at the Development Services counter at City Hall, and at the City's Library. If you have any questions, please contact the Development Services Department at (626) 355-7138.