On Saturday, October 19, 2013, take part in the 9th annual Oktoberfest Golf and Tennis Tournament which raises funds for the City of Sierra Madre’s Youth Activity Center (YAC) run by the YMCA. The YAC is a place for teens to hang out and socialize; through the YMCA it offers a wide variety of activities and amenities for immediate members, such as an educational speaker series, homework tutors, visual art classes, gardening, leadership roles with the elementary YMCA program and volunteer opportunities.
Two wonderful new local history Digital Storyboards will be unveiled on September 28, 2013, one at 10:00 a.m. in the new Local History Room in the Library, and one at 11:00 a.m. in the Richardson House museum.
On a lazy summer morning when most people were still sitting with their morning coffee, members of the Sierra Madre Rotary Club picked up their paint brushes and headed for the Library. Once there, they primed and painted the new Local History Room, getting it ready for the new Digital Storyboards which will feature stories about “Sierra Madre Stories & Treasures”.
Registration is now open for Sierra Madre Public Library’s popular Parent/Child workshop series, slated for September 5, 12, 19, 26, and October 3.
Sessions will take place at the Library on consecutive Thursdays from 10 to 11:30 a.m. and will be interactive including toys, crafts, books and play in addition to discussions of parenting issues and concerns.
The parenting workshop will feature noted resource professionals from the community and each session will feature a different aspect of parenting, including early literacy, speech, hearing and language development, child development, nutrition, music, play, and health.
Families with children ages 36 months and younger are encouraged to register now as past workshops have filled up fast. Enrollment is free, but in-person pre-registration at the Library is required to ensure a spot in the program.
Five informational community meetings have been scheduled to talk about the upcoming Water & Sewer rate study. This is in preparation for the City Council’s consideration of new water and sewer rates in September and October 2013. Each of the five community meetings will cover a different topic.
The meeting dates, times and locations are:
- August 14 @ 6:30 pm – City Hall Council Chambers, 232 W. Sierra Madre Blvd. – Water and Sewer Department’s Budget, Finances, and Bond Debt
- August 26 @ 6:30 pm – Sierra Madre Room, 611 E. Sierra Madre Blvd. – “State of System” - Capital and Long Term Master Plan, Sewer & Water System Needs
- September 14 (Saturday) @ 9:00 am – Maintenance Yard, 621 E. Sierra Madre Blvd. - Water System “How the water gets to your tap.” (This tour will involve walking on unpaved and uneven surfaces.)
- September 30 @ 6:30 pm – City Hall Council Chambers, 232 W. Sierra Madre Blvd. – Preview of the Water & Sewer Rate Study
- CANCELLED October 10 @ 6:30 – Please check the city's website for the new date.