Maisie Dobbs has been chosen as the Sierra Madre Public Library 2014 One Book One City choice and an appearance by the author Jacqueline Winspear will highlight a month of exciting free programs at the Library.
Winspear will speak on Saturday, February 22, 2014, at 2:00 p.m. in the Gooden School multi-purpose room about her mystery novel featuring an extraordinary young woman living through epic times in World War I era England and France. A reception will follow the talk and copies of all the books in the Maisie Dobbs series will be available for purchase and signing by the author.
2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I and Winspear’s talk caps a month of programs with a World War I theme.Upcoming Events Throughout the Month:
- Wednesdays in February, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m., Library Basement
Teen Book Club will read Leviathan, a steam-punk novel with a World War I setting.
- Friday February 21st, 7:00 p.m., Alverno Villa
Friends of the Library Wine Tasting. A signed copy of Maisie Dobbs will be featured as a silent auction item.
- Saturday, February 22nd, 2:00 p.m., The Gooden School Multi-Purpose Room
Appearance and book signing by author Jacqueline Winspear.
One Book One City is underwritten by the Sierra Madre Community Foundation, the Sierra Madre Civic Club and the Sierra Madre Rotary Club.Sierra Madre Public Library is located at 440 W. Sierra Madre Blvd., Sierra Madre, CA 91024. For more information contact the Library by phone at (626) 355-7186 or visit the Library website: www.cityofsierramadre.com/departments/library.
Kickoff Event - Saturday, February 1st, 2:00 p.m. at the Library
- Children’s Airplane Flying Contest
- Display of artifacts from World War I
- Display of World War I award-winning poetry by Christopher “Kit” Adde
- Teen Docents will feature virtual tours of Sierra Madre in the World War I period
- Music from the era
- Travel in Time and Space. Immerse yourself in Maisie’s world with an armchair tour of World War I life. Catherine Adde will take us to Cambridge, London, the English countryside and the battlefields of France where the story takes place.
- Wings, an epic World War I silent action drama that features spectacular aerial sequences of vintage dog fighting and a romantic angle featuring its top-billed star Clara Bow.
- Featured Book Discussion - Everyone is welcome to attend a special discussion of Winspear’s book, Maisie Dobbs.
- Third Thursday Book discussion Maisie Dobbs
- The Sierra Madre Historical Preservation Society presents author and historian Michele Zack who will speak on life in Sierra Madre during the years up to, including, and following WWI. Emphasis will be on the role of Sierra Madre's women in shaping early 20th century community life and involvement in the War effort.