June 9 through August 2, 2014
Starting June 9th, sign up for the Summer Reading Program at the Sierra Madre Public Library. Programs and prizes available for every age.
Adults sign up and track the books you read this summer. Every book becomes a weekly chance to win, with a grand prize drawing at the end of the summer.
Teens earn prizes for every two books read, up to four prizes. Each book you read (including your first 8 and beyond) enters teens into a grand prize drawing at the end of the summer.
Children receive a reading log, bookmark, and a book bag at registration, then read and record their books. Prizes are awarded when a reading goal is met. Children may enter one of three divisions:
- Beginner – for our youngest patrons, birth-kinder
- Reader – for our school aged readers in grades 1-6
- Challenger – for children in grades 2-6
- 6/13/2014 - Stuffed Animal Sleepover Drop-Off – ALL DAY
Have you ever wondered what happens at night after the Library is closed? Bring a stuffed animal to the library on June 13th, let it stay overnight, then join us at 10:00 am on June 14th for a light breakfast and pictures of their adventures.
- 6/14/2014 - Stuffed Animal Sleepover Breakfast – 10:00 am
- 6/16/2014 - “Paws in Action” K-9 Unit Demonstration – 12:00 pm
Watch the Pasadena K-9 Unit demonstrate the sniffing power of their beloved Dog Detectives. Activities and fun for the whole family.
- 6/23/2014 - Abbit the Average–Family Comedian – 10:00 am
Abbit the Average will outfox you with his hare-raising magic and wow you with his catchy juggling. Plenty of audience participation and non-stop laughs make this one doggone hilarious variety show.
- 7/10/2014 - PAWS TO READ LIBRARY FAIR – 1-5 pm
Join us for a fun-filled day of tail-wagging good times.
- 1-5 pm - Pasadena Humane Society Pet Adoptions
- 1-5 pm - Friends of the Library Best Used Book Sale
- 2 pm - The Ukulady (Family musician and variety show)
- 3:30 pm - Barks & Books
- 7/14/2014 - Eaton Canyon Storytime – 10:00 am
Come to the Sierra Madre Public Library to discover local California Wildlife through stories and activities!
- 7/16/2014 - Eaton Canyon Storytime – 7:00 pm
- 7/21/2014 - Bubblemania & Company – 10:00 am
- 8/2/2014 - The Wolf who Cried Boy – Puppet Show – 11:00 am
Willies the puppet wolf will need help from the kids in the audience to teach him when to tell the truth and save his friends from danger.
Relax and enjoy this musical interlude designed to give any listener a reason to pause. Performances by Barbara Mullens Geier on flute and Alan Geier on keyboard.
- Saturday, June 21, 2:00-4:00 pm
- Saturday, August 2, 2:00-4:00 pm
We invite all Adult Summer Reading Program participants to join us for Third Thursday Book Club at the Library!
- Thursday, June 19, 11 a.m., The Leavenworth Case by Anna Katharine Green
- Thursday, July 17, 11 a.m., Lady at the OK Corral by Ann Kirschner
Enjoy a Storyboard Tour with our wonderful Teen Docents! Tours will be held every Tuesday at 1:00 pm for 6 weeks. Each week will highlight a different aspect of Sierra Madre History.
- Trailblazers - June 10
- Historic Hometown - June 17
- Locals - June 24
- Disasters - July 1
- Joyride - July 8
- Surprise Me - July 15