SIERRA MADRE CITY COUNCIL &
COMMUNITY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY
Tuesday, June 28 2011
Closed Session 6:00 pm
Open Session 6:30 pm
City Hall Council Chambers
232 W. Sierra Madre Boulevard
PUBLIC COMMENT: The Council will listen to the public on any item on the agenda. The City Council cannot legally take action on any item not scheduled on the agenda. Such items may be referred for administrative action or scheduled on a future agenda. Comments will generally be limited to three minutes per speaker.
PUBLIC COMMENT FOR ITEMS ON THE AGENDA: Persons wishing to speak on any item on the agenda will be called at the time the agenda item is brought forward. Persons wishing to speak on closed session items have a choice of doing so either immediately prior to the closed session or at the time for comments on items at the open session.
PUBLIC COMMENT FOR ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA: Time shall be devoted to audience participation early on the agenda. If additional time is needed, the Mayor will allow for same at the end of the agenda.
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
Council Member/Board Members of the Community
Regarding Closed Session Items
RECESS TO CLOSED SESSION REGARDING
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
The City Council/Agency finds, based on advice from legal counsel, that discussion in open session will prejudice the position of the local agency in the litigation.
Pursuant to Calif. Government Code Section 54956.9(a)
Donald Sipple et al. vs. City of Alameda, et al.
Los Angeles Superior Court Case No. BC462270
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
Council Member/Board Members of the
Community Redevelopment Agency
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE & INVOCATION/INSPIRATION
Council Member Joe Mosca
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Majority vote of the Council to proceed with City business.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Approval of Minutes from the Community Redevelopment Agency session, and the regular City Council meeting of June 14, 2011.
MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL REPORTS
Brief reports of individual Council Member activities relating to City business occurring since the last City Council meeting.
Regarding items not on the Agenda
- CONSENT CALENDAR
- ADOPTION OF RESOLUTION NO. 11-61 OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SIERRA MADRE APPROVING CERTAIN DEMANDS: Recommendation that the City Council approve Resolution No. 11-61 for payment of City Warrants in aggregate amount of $199,973.19; Sierra Madre Library warrants in the aggregate amount of $12,822.47 and Payroll Transfer in the aggregate amount of $328,283.73 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011.
- AUTHORIZATION OF PAYMENTS ON BEHALF OF CRA: Recommendation that the City Council approve the $25,711.00 addition to the revolving note for the demands paid by the City on behalf of the Community Redevelopment Agency.
- RESOLUTION NO. 11-060 AND CRA RESOLUTION NO. 447 ADOPTING COMMITTED FUND BALANCES FOR FISCAL YEAR ENDING JUNE 30, 2011: Recommendation that the City Council approve Resolution No. 11-060 and CRA Resolution No. 447, a joint Resolution of the City Council and Community Redevelopment Agency adopting GASB 54: Committed Funds for Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2011
- AMENDED CONTRACT FOR VIDEO PRODUCTION AND CABLE SERVICES: Recommendation that the City Council amend the contract for video production and cable services to Community Media of the Foothills, for video production and cable services, not to exceed $32,000 per year for the remaining two year contract period.
- ADOPTION OF RESOLUTION NO. 11-58: AMENDING THE PERCENTAGE PAID BY THE EMPLOYER OF THE EMPLOYEES’ CONTRIBUTION TO THE CALIFORNIA PUBLIC EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT SYSTEM FOR UNREPRESENTED STAFF: Recommendation that the City Council adopt Resolution No. 11-58, a Resolution of the City Council amending the percentage paid by the Employer of the Employees’ Contribution to the California Public Employee Retirement System for unrepresented employees.
- DESIGNATION OF VOTING DELEGATE AND ALTERNATE FOR LEAGUE OF CALIFORNIA CITIES ANNUAL CONFERENCE AND BUSINESS MEETING – RESOLUTION NO. 11-59: Recommendation that the City Council authorize Resolution No. 11-59, a Resolution of the City Council designating Mayor John Buchanan as the Voting Delegate and Mayor Pro Tem Josh Moran as the alternate Voting Delegate to the League of California Cities Annual Conference and Business Meeting for 2011.
- REQUEST FOR AUTHORIZATION FOR PAYMENT TO THE IRS FOR AUDIT FINDINGS: Recommendation that the City Council authorize payment to the IRS audit for calendar year 2006 and subsequent year findings.
- GENERAL PLAN UPDATE TECHNICAL CONSULTANT – AWARD OF BID: Recommendation that the City Council award the contract to The Planning Center DC&E to prepare the technical reports and EIR for the General Plan Update, direct staff to work with the City Attorney to prepare the consultant agreement to commence work, and authorize the City Manager to sign the agreement.
- DOWNTOWN RETAIL MARKET DEMAND STUDY – AWARD OF BID: Recommendation that the CRA Board award the contract to Buxton to prepare a downtown retail market demand study, direct staff to prepare the consultant agreement and commence work, and authorize the Executive Director to sign the agreement.
- CONSIDERATION OF CRA RESOLUTION NO. 444 AWARDING A CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT TO STEPHEN DORECK EQUIPMENT RENTALS, INC. FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF A WATER MAIN IN EAST SIERRA MADRE BLVD. BETWEEN THE MAINTENANCE YARD AT SIERRA VISTA PARK AND BALDWIN AVENUE: Recommendation that the City Council, acting as the CRA Board of Directors, adopt CRA Resolution No. 444 approving the award of a construction contract to Stephen Doreck Equipment Rentals, Inc., in an amount not-to-exceed $1,092,750.00 for installation of a 12 inch water main in East Sierra Madre Blvd., from the Maintenance Yard at Sierra Vista Park to Baldwin Avenue.
- CONSIDERATION OF CRA RESOLUTION NO. 445 AWARDING A CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT IN AN AMOUNT NOT-TO-EXCEED $471,500 TO BEN’S ASPHALT, INC. FOR THE RESURFACING OF CITY-OWNED PARKING LOTS WITHING THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOUNDRIES: Recommendation that the City Council acting as the CRA Board of Directors, adopt CRA Resolution No. 445, awarding a construction contract in an amount not-to-exceed $471,500.00 to Ben’s Asphalt, Inc. for resurfacing the City’s redevelopment area parking lots.
- CONSIDERATION OF REJECTION OF BIDS FOR THE RE-ROOFING OF CITY HALL AND THE PUBLIC SAFETY BUILDING: Recommendation that the City Council acting as the CRA Board of Directors reject the bids received June 16, 2011 and direct staff to re-advertise the project for bids at a later date this summer.
- CANCELLATION OF 2ND REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST: Recommendation that the City Council approve the cancellation of the regular City Council meeting of August 23, 2011 and direct staff to pay all necessary expenses during that time.
- DISCUSSION – REGIONAL HOUSING NEEDS ASSESSMENT UPDATE AND STATUS: Recommendation that the City Council provide staff with direction.
- DISCUSSION – UUT OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE FINAL REPORT: Recommendation that the City Council receive and file the report.
- DISCUSSION – REAPPOINTMENT AND APPOINTMENT OF APPLICANTS TO VACANT COMMISSIONERS’ SEATS: Recommendation that the City Council provide staff with direction regarding the reappointment of Commissioners/Board Members
PUBLIC COMMENT: Under the Brown Act, Council is prohibited from taking action on items not on the agenda, but the matter may be referred to staff or to a subsequent meeting. Each speaker will be limited to three continuous minutes, which may not be delegated. These rules will be enforced but may be changed by appropriate City Council action.
PUBLIC HEARING: The appellant and/or applicant will each be provided a total of ten (10) minutes to address their item. A portion of their allotted time may be reserved for rebuttal or a summary conclusion at the close of public comment. All other speakers will be limited to a total of three continuous minutes, which cannot be delegated. These rules will be enforced but may be changed by appropriate City Council action.
ACTION ITEMS: Regardless of staff recommendation on any agenda item, the City Council will consider such matters, including action to approve, conditionally approve, reject, or continue such item. Further information on each item may be procured from the Office of the City Manager.
AVAILABILITY OF AGENDA MATERIALS: Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet, are available for public inspection at the public counter at City Hall, 232 W. Sierra Madre Blvd., and at the Library, 440 W. Sierra Madre Blvd., during normal business hours.
LIVE BROADCASTS: Regular City Council meetings are broadcasted live on Cable Channel 3 and rebroadcast on Wednesday and Saturday at 5:30 p.m.
MEETING ASSISTANCE: The City Hall Council Chamber is physically accessible and assistive listening devices are available at the meeting. If you require special assistance to participate in this meeting, please call the City Manager’s office at (626) 355-7135 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
ADJOURNMENT: The City Council/CRA will adjourn to a Regular Meeting at this same place on Tuesday, July 12, 2011.