The City's wastewater collection system is managed by the Public Works Department , and consists of approximately 32 miles of gravity sewer lines.  There are no sewage pump stations or siphons.  About 93% of flows from these local sewers discharge into Los Angeles CSD facilities for conveyance, treatment, and disposal.  The remaining 7% of the total sewage generated within the City passes through the adjacent City of Arcadia sewer system and is then conveyed to the CSD facilities.

Per SMMC 12.20.070 (D), persons owning or controlling any land within the city shall maintain any sewer lateral lines. 

Sewer System Management Plan
Per state regulations, the City of Sierra Madre is required to develop and regularly update a system-wide plan.  The following topics are included in the plan:
- Legal Authority
- Operation and Maintenance Program
- Design and Performance Provisions
- Overflow Emergency Response Plan
- FOG (Fats, Oils, Grease) Source Control Program
- System Evaluation and Capacity Assurance Plan
- Monitoring, Measurement, and Modification Program
- Program Audit and Certification

The Public Works Updated the Sewer System Management Plan in August of 2014.  The full document can be accessed by clicking the link below.
Sewer System Management Plan, August 2014