Historic image of Sierra Madre's City Water Tank
A Brief History of The Sierra Madre Water Supply
In 1881, Nathaniel Carter purchased 1,103 acres of land from Elijah J. "Lucky" Baldwin, John Richardson, and the Southern Pacific Railroad. The land now comprises the urbanized area of the City of Sierra Madre. In just a year after Carter's purchase, the Sierra Madre Water Company was established.
Over the next century, Sierra Madre's primary source of water supply was groundwater from the Santa Anita sub-area (or Eastern Unit) of the Raymond Basin. Four main wells were developed and maintained to deliver the City's adjudicated water. A short time later, two tunnels, one on either side of the Sierra Madre Dam, also contributed to the water supply.
Since October of 2013, the City has been unable to attain groundwater and was forced to switch to imported water to serve its residents. Water conservation measures have been enacted as Sierra Madre and the San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District endeavor to return to a sustainable and local water supply.
Check out the links located in the submenu for information on how residents, visitors, and businesses can save water and money, and do our part to conserve our State's precious resource.
Finally, Sierra Madre water customers have worked hard to conserve water and their efforts are much appreciated. All those who have done so are already leading the statewide charge to conserve water.
Thank you, and please keep up the good work!
HISTORIC Sierra Madre Flood Control Construction Video, Circa 1930 -