Block Party

If you're thinking it would be nice to get together with your neighbors and hold a block party, there are a few things you should know:

If you would like to close your street, you will need a Temporary Use Permit from the Planning and Community Preservation Department. You need to apply in person, Monday - Thursday from 7:30am - 5:30pm and the cost is $49.

Block parties are restricted to residential streets. They are not permitted on arterial or collector streets. Block parties are intended for participation by the entire neighborhood and should not be for private family celebrations or gatherings. Party organizers should ensure that all affected neighbors are aware of the upcoming event and street closure.

In most cases, streets may be closed from intersection to intersection or in cul-de-sacs. Streets may not be closed at mid-block locations or in front of a single house. The City will arrange for the delivery and pick up of barricades and "Street Closed" signs. The barricades and signs will generally be delivered either the day of or the day before the block party and picked up within three days after the block party. Party organizers are responsible for setting up and taking down these barricades and signs and placing them near the location where they were dropped off.

Streets and sidewalks may not be altered in any way in preparation for or during a block party. Immediately following a block party, party organizers must clear streets and sidewalks of barricades, signs, debris and any other materials used for the party. Entertainment such as band music, recorded music and any amplifying equipment must be restricted to a volume that does not disturb residents. Based upon Chapter 9.32 of the Municipal Code, the applicant will be required to undertake appropriate measures to ensure that the level of noise associated with the block party will not disturb the neighboring businesses’ and residents’ right to the quiet enjoyment of their premises or violate the provisions of the chapter.

The City requires individuals reserving City premises or closing down City streets to pay an additional fee for general liability insurance if the applicant cannot obtain a certificate of insurance naming the City of Sierra Madre as an additional insured from a California admitted insured carrier with an AMBest financial rating of A8 or better at a minimum amount of $1,000,000. Additionally, an “Additional Insured Endorsement” signed by the company issuing the policy or an authorized representative who has the authority to bind the insurance company must accompany the Certificate of Insurance. The certificate must submitted (10) working days prior to the event. Any accident occurring on City property that causes injury to any individual must be reported immediately to the City.

Alcohol may be served and/or consumed on private property only. Open containers or alcohol are not permitted on public property. Alcohol should never be sold or given to minors.