Planning Applications

At the beginning of the Development process, a project is evaluated for Planning and Zoning compliance.  If your proposed project is found to require a discretionary entitlement, (Design Review Permit, Conditional Use Permit, Variance, Hillside Development Permit, etc.) please make an appointment to visit our public counter between the hours of 7:30am-5:30pm, Monday thru Thursday. Our Planning Staff will assist you with the application process.  Please note that not every project will require a discretionary entitlement.  If you would like to research if your project will require one, please see SMMC 17.60 

  • For projects requiring a Conditional Use Permit (CUP), Minor Conditional Use Permit (MCUP), Variance (VAR), Minor Variance (MVAR), Design Review Permit (DRP) or an Administrative Design Review Permit (ADRP).
  • For projects located in the Hillside Residential Zone requiring a Hillside Development Permit (HDP) or Administrative Hillside Development Permit (AHDP) pursuant to Chapter 17.52 of the Sierra Madre Municipal Code.
  • For projects proposing new construction of or conversion to an Accessory Dwelling Unit or Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit.
  • For project proposing minor modifications to existing facilities, pursuant to Chapter 17.92 of the Sierra Madre Municipal Code.
  • For projects proposing collocation of a small wireless facility using an existing structure or the deployment of a small wireless facility using a new structure, and modification of small wireless facilities.