Code Enforcement

The City of Sierra Madre Code Enforcement Division's goal is to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. The Code Enforcement Officer works with residents, neighborhood associations, public service agencies and other City departments to ensure compliance with the City's Municipal Codeand land use regulations. To report a code violation contact Planning and Community Preservation at 626-355-7138 or use the Online Reporting Portal

Code Enforcement

Department of Planning & Community Preservation

What is Code Enforcement?

Code Enforcement is concerned with safety, welfare and the aesthetics of our community. By using the Sierra Madre Municipal Codes as a guide, residents can easily see what types of conditions are considered unacceptable.

What do we do?

Code Enforcement works with the Planning Department, Police Department, Public Works and Community Services as well as several outside agencies such as the LA County Health Department, Adult Services, San Gabriel Valley Vector Control. We coordinate with these agencies to provide a safe and desirable living and working environments.

How can you do your part?

We are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful foothill community, yet our community cannot care for itself. We must all be good neighbors to each other to preserve the aesthetics of our neighborhoods. Property owners need to educate themselves on what is acceptable when it comes to property maintenance.

Common Violations:

  • Keep all landscaping neatly manicured and free of dead, dry vegetation and weed growth.
  • Keep your property free of standing / stagnant water.
  • Ensure that irrigation systems do not waste water by spraying water onto streets and sidewalks.
  • Minimize outside storage of household items, trash and discards. These things should be stored out of public view.
  • Do not store inoperative vehicles in public view.
  • Maintain the exterior of your home and accessory structures to avoid damage by the elements.
  • Abide by the California Building Code and submit plans and obtain permits prior to commencing any home improvement projects such as remodels, repairs or additions.

Business License Required:

If you conduct business within the City of Sierra Madre whether it is at a store front in downtown or from a home office within your private residence, you must first obtain a business license. If your business is being conducted from your home, a special “Home Occupation Permit” must first be obtained and approved by the Planning Department.

Contractors – (general builders, plumbers, electricians, handyman, gardeners, painters, installers, pool cleaners, tree trimmers, realtor companies, property management companies, investment properties), must have city business license.

Improving Your Property?

If you are planning to add, change, improve, alter or repair a portion of your property; you are required by the California Building Code and the Sierra Madre Municipal Code to first obtain authorization from the Building Official.

Projects requiring Authorization:

  • New Additions to primary residences
  • New / upgraded plumbing and fixtures
  • New / upgraded electrical systems
  • New roofs, windows, building alterations
  • Detached structures in excess of 120 square feet